Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Sheer Exhaustion

The weekend was absolutely exhausting and I'm still recovering today.  Friday night was the prep work, moving things from the living room and kitchen into Rachel's room.  My mom called at 7 a.m. on Saturday and woke us up, letting us know she was on her way to come get Andy for the day.  Our coffeemaker broke and wouldn't turn on when I needed it the most.  My mom was already on the road and doesn't have a cell phone so I couldn't even call and ask her to stop at Dunkin Donuts on the way here to bring me a cup. 

Andy loves his grandma.  She pulled into the driveway and I opened the front door.  She called out to him, "Where's my angel baby?" and that smile lit up his face.  He took off running with the little waddle, barefoot, out onto the front walk and she scooped him up into a tight hug.  Grandma loves her Andy, too. 

We sat in the kitchen for only a short time while Steve installed our car seat in her car and loaded up some other stuff we borrowed from her months ago.  When she left it was off to the bank and to Home Depot for some last minute supplies and paint for the kitchen. 

It was about 11 o'clock when we started taping off the living room to paint the ceiling.  It's pretty embarrassing, we didn't paint it when we did the walls because it looked to us like it was in good shape.  We pulled out our milk crate of painting supplies and tried to attach a roller to the extension bar we'd just purchased only to find that the threads didn't line up right.  I spent an hour cutting in the paint around the ceiling and Steve went out to Lowe's to get a new roller.   Around noon, Steve put the first stripe of white across the middle and how wrong we were became apparent.  It was dingy and gray.  An hour or so later we were done and moved on to the more complicated project-- the kitchen.  We didn't bother to tape the walls because we were planning to paint them as well.  The walls have been lime green since I was three months pregnant with Andy when in a hormonal fit I tried to paint the rooma  soft sage and ended up with something just plain awful.

We paused for a pizza at five and went to pick up Andy at 8.  Back home at 10:30.  The painting still wasn't done.  It's still not done.  Something about the drywall in this house just sucks up paint.  We still have a small area beyond the door, behind the washer and behind the fridge.  Perhaps tonight, we'll get it done.  We worked on Saturday until 3:30 in the morning.  We had to have everything cleaned up and put away because Andy would get into it if we didn't.  He's so curious and exploratory I know I'd end up with beige footprints all over the house if we continued the job Sunday morning.

Andy woke us up at 8 on Sunday.  Every muscle was sore.  My feet were swollen and tingy from spending most of Saturday on a ladder.  Steve wasn't doing much better.  We are getting old.  Sunday most of the day was spent putting things back up on the walls, cleaning up, rearranging, etc etc.  We treated ourselves to a new welcome mat for the front door and a couple of porterhouse steaks for dinner.  We'd earned them and they were wonderful. 


( 1 comment — Leave a comment )
Jul. 13th, 2005 08:38 am (UTC)
I remember when you painted the walls lime green! Has it really been that long?!

That's so great that at least Andy has the love of your mom. She sounds like a great grandma (just like yours was!) :)
( 1 comment — Leave a comment )