Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Where has Juli been?

I used to be one of those girls who would faint at the mere mention of blood, vomit, mucus-- any of those icky medical words that meant someone was sick.  Motherhood certainly changes all that.  

Last Saturday it started with Andy.  Poor little guy must have had three baths in a day after blowing out his diapers in the grossest way possible.  The funny thing was, he wasn't "acting" sick-- he was still running around like a little maniac, tearing through the house like a tasmanian devil.  No fever, just horrid diarrhea.  

Sunday, same thing.  During the night, the crossover to Monday we added vomitting to the mix.  I don't think that Andy had ever actually thrown up before.  Sure we had milky spit-ups when he was still bottle feeding and he's coughed up yucky plegm when ill, but nothing like this violent, spray the opposite wall vomit.  And I cleaned it up and cleaned him up without batting an eye.  I held him close and told him it was okay.  

Steve stayed home from work on Monday and we both thought Andy was over this thing by mid-morning.  He had a normal diaper and was drinking as usual.  He still wouldn't eat and that should have been a big clue that he wasn't 100% yet.  

We went to a non-local Target looking for something ours stopped carrying.  We went to Cheesecake Factory for lunch.  Andy wouldn't eat again and even fell asleep at the table-- poor little guy-- before bolting straight up and throwing up all over the table and floor.  Within 10 minutes we had paid and were out the door.  

Steve went to work on Tuesday and thought he'd have to stay late until I called him in a panic that Andy had some crazy rash that went up above his diaper line, all over his side and chest.  I called the pedi who told me to put a mixture of Mylanta and A&D ointment on it-- nothing to worry about.

That night I started.  Frequent trips to the bathroom and hanging my head over the toilet.  I felt like I'd been hit by a truck.  On a trip back to bed, I stopped in to check on Andy.  He'd blown out a diaper in his sleep again.  I woke up Steve to feed Joey while I gave Andy a bath.  It was three a.m. and Andy was screaming his head off.   I changed his bedding, wiped his mattress down with disinfecting wipes and flipped it over then ran back into the bathroom myself.  

Steve stayed home yesterday and I spent most of the day in bed.


( 3 comments — Leave a comment )
Mar. 23rd, 2006 12:51 pm (UTC)
I've been wondering about your absence. Hope everyone is back to feeling better real soon!!
Mar. 24th, 2006 09:46 am (UTC)
Oh sweetie! :( I'm sorry to hear you've all been so sick. Especially the mommy who still has to take care of things while sick. Man, I can't EVEN imagine! Are you all feeling better now or is it still bad? Baby & Steve are fine?

Okay, stupid question time... so many of you girls mention this but I feel safe asking you. Diaper BLOW-OUT. Does that mean it just goes everywhere or does the thing actually break apart? :embarassed:
Mar. 24th, 2006 04:16 pm (UTC)
A diaper blowout is when the diaper doesn't contain what's in it. Though there are also diaper leaks, which are smaller and not as disgusting.

Andy has a rash on his side now from laying in his poop that exploded out of the diaper. I feel awful about it but it was in the middle of the night, while he was sleeping. The only way I knew was that I went in to check on him when I woke up to feed Joey.
( 3 comments — Leave a comment )