Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Yesterday was hellish.  Right before lunch I was assigned a task that involved a co-worker who is not very computer saavy for a very particular client that no one likes to deal with.  In the midst of writing this narrative for said client I got a phone call from Steve.

He's letting me know that the daycare has isolated Andy because he's got a rash on his face that is spreading and they think it's impetigo.  He can't return to school tomorrow without a note from his doctor.

So like any mom would do, I googled "impetigo."  Of course I can't find the website I looked at yesterday now, but it said that in a few serious cases this bacterial infection of the skin could lead to meningitis, kidney failure and possibly death.  So of course, at that point, I was COMPLETELY FREAKING OUT! 

I still had to write the now-seemingly meaningless narrative and still manage to dash out the door at five to meet Steve at the pediatrician's office.  Somehow I pulled something together that resulted in some praise-filled emails this morning.

So I sat in traffic for an hour and got to the pedi's office mere minutes after Steve had arrived.  He was still signing in at the front desk.  It was after 6 pm. 

We were finally called in to see the doctor at 7:30 and she looked at Andy's face and said, "That's not impetigo.  It's the same eczema or dematitis he's had since he was very small."  Apparently, every time he has a cold or has another tooth break the surface of his gums, he's going to end up with a little rash on his face.  It's absolutely nothing to worry about.  She gave us a prescription for a 2.5% Cortisone cream, but we could just as easily use the OTC stuff we used before.  She checked Andy out, talked to us for awhile, we got Rachel a physical exam since she hadn't had one in awhile as well.

Now it's 8:30 and I am STARVING.  I know Andy has got to be hungry as well and he's wet.  Steve didn't grab a diaper bag while he was home either. We left (in separate cars, like we arrived) and agreed to meet at a diner near our house.  I had to stop at a pharmacy and get a small package of diapers and wipes to change Mr. Andypants.

We finally ate dinner around 9 and I ordered wrong.  I picked Lemon Chicken from the specials menu and they brought out roasted chicken parts that smelled weird.  I wasn't happy. I did have matzo ball soup and a nice little garden salad so it wasn't a total waste.

When I dropped Andy off at daycare this morning I tore into the receptionist a little and I feel bad because she wasn't the one who diagnosed Andy without a medical degree.  I cautioned her to tell the daycare "teachers" to choose their words more carefully.  They could have easily said that they were concerned about a rash on Andy's face or that they were worried it was contagious, but I think it was REALLY WRONG of them to take a guess at what they thought the rash was and cause me such stress and fear.


( 3 comments — Leave a comment )
Oct. 18th, 2005 04:16 pm (UTC)
Yep, they shouldn't have diagnosed at all! That would have scared the hell out of me too!
Oct. 18th, 2005 04:27 pm (UTC)
Crackmonkeys. They ought to be zapped.

Lennon gets a lil face rash when he is particularly teethy, as well.
Oct. 19th, 2005 04:07 pm (UTC)
OMG - I would have freaked also. It was definitely wrong of them to do that. Like you said, they could have just expressed concern, etc. etc. and not tried to idiotically diagnose it.
( 3 comments — Leave a comment )